The Edco Handwriting Online Teacher’s Guide provides valuable information to support the planning, teaching and assessment of handwriting.
What is Edco Handwriting?
- a programme for Junior Infants to Fourth Class
- designed around two pathways, both available from Junior Infants
- designed to allow schools to transition from pre-cursive to cursive at Book C or Book D (generally used by 1st or 2nd class, but a 3rd class group could use Book D if desired)
The Edco Handwriting programme comes with a Step-Up booklet, which is free to download here. This booklet offers support to pupils who are transitioning from pre-cursive to cursive handwriting.
This is designed for schools who change from pre-cursive to cursive (usually in First or Second Class). It provides practice pages for all 26 lower-case and capital letters, as well as joins.
Summary of the programme content
|Practice copies for Junior and Senior Infant classes|
|Digital resources (including warm up videos, letter formation animations and practice activities)|
|Online teacher guide (including handy tips, yearly plans for all class levels, assessment record templates and useful printables)|
|A1 size alphabet frieze for your classroom|
|Cursive Bridge Booklet||Cursive Bridge Booklet|
Areas covered in the Online Teacher’s Resources
- Pre-cursive pathway
- Cursive pathway
- Set up and position linked to writing readiness
- Letter formations
- Phonic Preparation
- Digital integration
Revision and assessment
- includes revision and assessment pages in each book
- features self-assessment on milestone pages to encourage children to take pride in their handwriting
- is carefully scaffolded to offer support and progression within and between class levels
- provides teacher assessment sheets (2 per child) to enable the teacher to easily track, assess and record each child’s progress. These assessment sheets are directly linked to the child’s revision / assessment pages and can be kept in the teacher’s Assessment Folder.